Media Background Information
This area of the website is meant to serve as a repository of information for reporters and other interested parties. Here you will find background information, news releases, video and more.
Should you need more information about or visuals illustrating a particular topic, or would like to request an interview, please reach out to DHIN’s Marketing team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (302) 678-0220.
In 2007, the Delaware Health Information Network (DHIN) became the first live, statewide health information network in the nation. DHIN currently serves:
- 100% of Delaware’s acute care hospitals
- 100% of Delaware’s long term care and skilled nursing facilities
- Nearly 100% of Delaware’s medical providers who make orders*
More than 14 million clinical results and reports are posted on DHIN each year – and the system includes 2.2 million total patient records from all 50 states.
Since its inception, the system has proven its worth to hospitals, medical professionals and patients throughout Delaware. An independent review by health information exchange evaluator Maestro Strategies monetizes this value, calculating that DHIN:
- Saved data senders nearly $7 million delivering results to enrolled providers in 2013 alone
- Saved enrolled practices a collective $885,000 in electronic health record interface implementation
- Saves insurance companies and consumers $10 million annually in the reduction of duplicate radiology and lab tests
*Provider penetration calculation reflects number of providers who make orders and are enrolled in DHIN (MDs, ODs, NPs, PAs and EDs), and does not include healthcare care providers that do not make orders (e.g. pathologists). Total provider list compiled from multiple sources including the Medical Society of Delaware, University of Delaware, Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield Delaware and the Delaware Division of Professional Regulation.
Safe and Secure
One of the greatest strengths of the Delaware Health Information Network is the safety and security of its information. DHIN records are backed up at secure locations so that the data is not affected by local disasters.
Access to DHIN is restricted and monitored. DHIN records are covered under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act regulations (HIPAA) as well as state law. Under Delaware law, any misuse of DHIN health information or data is subject to prosecution and penalties outlined in the Delaware Criminal Code.
- First live, statewide health information exchange (HIE) in the nation
- First statewide HIE to have 100% participation among acute care hospitals in its state
- First statewide HIE to formally consult with another’s HIE on the launch of its program (Hawaii, 2013).
- One of just a few public HIEs nationwide proven to be fully sustaining (Stage 6 of 7 on the eHealth Initiative HIE Maturity Model) and now innovating to provide value-add services (Stage 7 on the HIE Maturity Model).
The Value of DHIN
- Provides medical professionals with secure and immediate access to up-to-date test results, saving time, money and duplicate effort.
- Lowers costs and saves staff time by leveraging technology and reducing paper records.
- Improves the speed of care.
- Improves the quality of care.