Governor Markell Establishes Healthcare Claims Database
Legislation Promotes Transparency to Reduce Healthcare Costs
Dover, DE — July 25, 2016 — Recognizing the importance of collaboration and transparency in reducing the costs of healthcare in Delaware, Governor Markell last Thursday signed into law Senate Bill 238, which creates a Delaware healthcare claims database.
A key component of the State Healthcare Innovation Plan, the database marks an important collaboration among health insurers to make claims information available in an effort to control skyrocketing healthcare costs.
The database will be housed and managed by the Delaware Health Information Network (DHIN), the state’s health information exchange. The claims information contained in the database will be factored into the Delaware’s common provider scorecard, a universal cost comparison tool for providers, payers and consumers.
“Healthcare is the single most complicated policy challenge we face,” said Governor Markell. “Delaware is transforming healthcare, and this bill represents an important part of the solution to rising healthcare costs.”
Joining the Governor were Senator Bethany Hall-Long and Secretary of Health and Social Services Rita Landgraf, as well as representatives from across the healthcare industry.
Senator Hall-Long, the bill co-sponsor, described the bill as a “fantastic piece of legislation,” and Secretary Landgraf agreed that the database is a “valuable tool for us in moving innovation forward.”
“Delaware continues to lead the nation in healthcare ‘firsts’,” said Dr. Jan Lee, DHIN CEO, “Building this database and sharing this data will be key in our ongoing efforts to achieve the triple aim of improving population health, improving care and reducing healthcare costs.”
See the Latest DHIN Newsletter
- Continuity of Care Docs Live on CHR
- Separate Your Secure Messages
- IE Users, Take Note!
DHIN on Twitter
- Your health information and your rights explained in plain English. #HIPAA - https://t.co/YCApHooTdg https://t.co/Ri3Uj8hDHN - 2 hours ago
- Your #healthcare information and your rights explained in plain English. #HIPAA https://t.co/YCApHooTdg https://t.co/yAFRAbiHhA - 4 hours ago
- How we're collaborating with @unioninsider + @ispecimen to provide precision health. https://t.co/J1oo7AuMjY https://t.co/BzOy1eaRVO - 5 hours ago